Friday, August 1, 2008

Second Opinion with Clinic#3

After IVF#1 BFN and FET#1 BFN, I decided to seek out a second opinion at Clinic #3. I have a friend who had done IVF twice (successful both times) and she raved about her RE and how smart and kind he was. So, I made an appt and thought it would be worth it for peace of mind.

When I met Dr. D on Tuesday, he had already reviewed the 100+ pages of history I had sent him from my clinic. One of the first things he said was "Why does Dr. T think you have PCOS?" WHAT?? I don't know, I assume it was based on my tests! So, he doesn't think I have PCOS based on my blood tests and how (poorly) I responded to stims. He thinks I've been under a strong PCOS protocol which may not be the right treatment for me. He actually wants to check my FSH and AMH again (since I haven't been tested for over a year) because he is concerned about my ovarian reserve. He also said that he has seen very low pregnancy success rates for women who stim for IVF for more than 12 days (I did 14 1/2 days). He said extra long stim periods don't usually make good eggs/embryos. He also thought that my RE Dr. T had done some tests on me that were expensive and not very helpful.

I left with my head spinning. Was I under the wrong diagnosis and I don't have PCOS? Do I have an ovarian reserve issue and my egg quantity/quality is depleting? Are my 3 remaining embryos set up for failure because I stimmed so long for IVF? Which RE is really best for me and how do I choose? How much more time and money will I have to spend to get pregnant, or when will I give up trying?

I decided to stick with my RE for FET#2, but I decided to skip the additional testing that Dr. T wanted to do to try to check my lining for implantation (Yale/Kliman/EFT test). (Dr. D told me that most REs don't do that test anymore, and it doesn't provide much information that can change your course of treatment, but it costs a lot and takes a lot of time, so it's not worth it). So, I am going forward with FET#2, and if (hopefully not) it doesn't work, I will probably switch REs and go to Dr. D at Clinic #3 for a fresh start.

I did 3 weeks of BCPs, started lupron on July 24, and AF (aunt flow) started today. I am going to stay on lupron and start estrace on Aug 7 because I am going on vacation Aug 9 - 17. Lining check on Aug 18 and FET on Aug 26. We are going to put in all 3 remaining blasts if they all survive the thaw. I am scared to death of the idea of triplets, but both REs seemed comfortable with it since I have had no success thus far. B and I talked about the idea of SR (selective reduction), and he is totally OK with it, and I support the concept, but I know that it would be really hard for me to purposefully eliminate one. B told me that he doesn't think I could do it, he knows my heart is a mushball.

So, I'll continue acupuncture and try to stay positive and hopeful that one (or two) of my little embryos is strong and healthy and decides to stick.

Oh, and I've also been trying to gain weight for the past few weeks. Last year I gained 5 pounds to try to help, and now I'm trying for 5 more. My RE doesn't think my weight is a problem, but the nurse told me that it could potentially help if I gain some. I've been willing to try anything, so I'm doing it. But I hate it when my clothes feel tight! Oh, well.

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

I had no idea you were already doing FET #2! Good luck sweetie!

P.S. Yay for stating blogs!

Kristen said...

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you that FET #2 is IT!

Welcome to the blogging world! :-)